News
Follow us:

« | »

Mbete gets extension, consults on no-confidence

Author: Staff Reporter Updated: 15:00 13-02-2018

The EFF have reportedly given National Assembly’s Baleka Mbete an extension on the deadline to respond to opposition parties’ demand for the debate surrounding the motion of no confidence against President Zuma to be moved to this week.

The EFF had initially given Mbete until 10 am on Tuesday to respond to their request but have since moved the deadline to 1 pm.

EFF’s Julius Malema previously said that if Mbete did not respond to the request on time, his party would launch an urgent application in court because the country is “in a crisis”.

However, Parliament’s spokesperson Moloto Mothapo said Mbete had asked the EFF for more time yesterday.

Mbete said she needed more time to consult with “all stakeholders”, namely ANC Chief Whip Jackson Mthembu and the leader of government business Cyril Ramaphosa.

Last week, Mbete had suggested 22 February as the date to debate the motion of no confidence proposed by opposition parties, but the EFF is demanding it take place this week.

In the meantime, opposition parties have written to Speaker Baleka Mbete and Chairperson of the National Council of Provinces Thandi Modise informing them of the plans to move for Parliament to be dissolved in the same sitting as the motion of no-confidence debate.

Should their efforts prove successful, and National Assembly be dissolved, early elections must be held within 90 days.

Published: 09:31 13-02-2018

Posted by on February 13, 2018.

Categories: SA News

« | »


CAPE TOWN WEATHER

Change your weather location

Powered by The Weather Channel

INDICATORS

$ = R0
£ = R0
= R0
Oil = $0
Gold = $0
Updated: 21:38 24-Feb-2018

SEARCH

[Alt-Text]